Monday, June 20, 2011

My Little...Bronies?



I came upon this a few months ago when searching for My Little Pony things for my daughter but I feel a need to revisit the topic. Yes adult men who have an obsession with a kid's TV show to the point where they collect the figures, write fan fiction, and play out RPG games as their pony characters. Oh and they also call themselves bronies.

We are big My Little Pony fans here. My daughter has practically every toy that exists, we are recording every show that has aired, and she also thinks she is a pony to the point where she wants to only be called 'Rarity'. But she is 3 1/2. Now I admit to actually liking the show. I loved My Little Ponies when I was little and even though the show has been redone it still brings back some nostalgic memories. I admit to even looking forward to watching a new episode that we haven't seen before. But it ends there for me. I don't jump on online forums and act out little pony fantasies with other adults. That just seems odd to me...odd and creepy. Yes I think adults are allowed to enjoy kid's things. I love my share of Disney. I had an extensive Lion King and penguin collection for a time. My question is...is this creepy because it's adults or creepy because it's guys liking a show that is marketed to little girls? I'm not so sure I'd think an adult woman being that into the show would bother me so much. So does that make me sexist? I don't know. There is just something about these guys that sends a million sirens off in my head and makes me want to put them on the "watch list". But maybe I'm the only one since the network that airs the show embraced them to the point that they gave them a shout out in a promo they run. See here...




So maybe I am the one that's wrong here. Maybe I watch way too much SVU and true crime shows. I don't care if my son was into ponies, but grown men bothers me and makes me think of pedophile serial killers. I guess I'm the one with issues, but I think I'm okay with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment